Thursday, September 15, 2005

An interesting day...

What a day! I've got 2 meetings today. The first was with Johan Nawawi and the second was sort of a job interview.

Let's talk about the job interview first. Currently I'm working with a book publishing company (family business), but things got ugly easily when you're working with family. They're faced with a financial problem and got a little "GUBRA". They are more interested in getting advise from an outsider rather than having a faith in their own flesh and blood in making strategic business decisions. Suddenly they started to think that maybe I am not worth the sens they're paying me when in fact they just DON'T GET IT!

Anyway, I am the Publishing Manager. I edit and proofread manuscripts. I would find authors and manage the whole production team. I also write occasionally. I am good at Math, and with my Instructional Designing background, have managed to prove that I am also worthy of an academic book writer. In fact, the Ministry of Education has endorsed MY books to be best-suited for the pupils at primary schools throughout Malaysia.

Yeap, I'm not just a lyricist, I'm a writer as well. Math - that's the subject I'm good at.

So, with the ugly things that are happening with me and the rest of the family business, I decided to apply for another job. Read through the classified ads in The Star 2 days ago, emailed my resume yesterday, got a call this morning and by late this afternoon I GOT THE JOB!

I originally applied for Math Instructor at a US-based Math Learning Center franchise, but due to past experience and my "interesting" career path, I was offered more than that. A chance to really be sort of like a business partner to the boss... and also be the Instructor to the Math Instructors... hahaha... Interesting! I start October 1st, 2005.

I met Johan Nawawi earlier in the afternoon. What a down-to-earth guy! Had a 1-hour meeting of just plain borak of what's happening in his life and what's happening in mine... I guess it was almost 3 years since we last met. Had an interesting discussion about the local entertainment industry.

Johan has for the past 10 years been with his company, Cyber Music Asia Sdn Bhd, who is now having their own TV channel at MiTV - the other pay TV service provider.

We talked about my lyrics, especially the "Perjuangan Belum Selesai", which is still a hit due to requests made for Nora to sing at functions. How the words really touched and inspired people, etc...

Well, I guess I'll be seeing more of Johan Nawawi after this. It's nice to meet people who are so down-to-earth like him. I've always imagined him to be like that but to have met him in person and really saw how humbled he was, that was something...

0 comments: